LOADED SCALLOPED POTATOES VEGAN VERSION
- 8 morning side farms vegan bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Generously add olive oil to pan to keep “bacon” from sticking
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted vegan butter, plus more for greasing dish
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. chopped scallions, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c. soy coffee creamer
- 1 c. low-sodium vegan chicken stock
- 2 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 c. shredded vegan Cheddar (I use veggie go)
- 1/4 c. vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown bacon, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate. Drain excess bacon grease leaving about 2 tablespoons; sauté garlic and onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Melt vegan butter, when it begins to bubble sprinkle flour all over and whisk until flour is absorbed, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallions, cream, and vegan chicken stock; bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Attach slicing blade to a food processor. If possible, set thickness to 1/8″. Trim ends of potato and slice without removing peel. Grease casserole dish with vegan butter and arrange potatoes in rows. Pour creamy mixture over the potatoes followed by a even layer vegan Cheddar and vegan bacon.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Garnish with scallions and dollops of vegan sour cream. Serve immediately.
I borrowed this recipe from delish.com. the writer’s credit is as follows:
Judy Kim is a NYC-based food stylist, recipe developer, and photographer. She also writes recipes for her website The Judy Lab.