borrowed from THE KITTCHEN
The Most Delicious Thanksgiving Corn Recipe
i will add my vegan version as well. for health reasons, my cardiologist insisted i become vegan. it’s interesting to convert recipes and have them still be delicious!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 7 ears of Corn
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper
- 1 small Green Bell Pepper
- ¼ cup of Water
- 2 tablespoons Butter OR 2 tbs of vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar OR your favourite non sugar sweetener
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese OR 8 oz vegan cream cheese. i use tofutti.
- ½ cup Half and Half OR 1/2 cup of soy creamer or organic soy milk.
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan OR vegan parmesan cheese
- Shuck the corn, rinse it, and slice the corn off the cob. Finely dice the bell peppers.
- Heat the water and butter in a pot. Once it starts steaming, add the corn and the bell peppers. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients (except the Parmesan), and stir to combine. Once the cream cheese has melted, pour into a casserole dish.
- Top with the Parmesan and bake for 375 degrees for 15 minutes. You can prepare this recipe up to this point a day or two ahead of time and then bake it just prior to serving.
LOADED SCALLOPED POTATOES VEGAN VERSION
- 8 morning side farms vegan bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Generously add olive oil to pan to keep “bacon” from sticking
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted vegan butter, plus more for greasing dish
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. chopped scallions, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c. soy coffee creamer
- 1 c. low-sodium vegan chicken stock
- 2 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 c. shredded vegan Cheddar (I use veggie go)
- 1/4 c. vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown bacon, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate. Drain excess bacon grease leaving about 2 tablespoons; sauté garlic and onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Melt vegan butter, when it begins to bubble sprinkle flour all over and whisk until flour is absorbed, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallions, cream, and vegan chicken stock; bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Attach slicing blade to a food processor. If possible, set thickness to 1/8″. Trim ends of potato and slice without removing peel. Grease casserole dish with vegan butter and arrange potatoes in rows. Pour creamy mixture over the potatoes followed by a even layer vegan Cheddar and vegan bacon.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Garnish with scallions and dollops of vegan sour cream. Serve immediately.
I borrowed this recipe from delish.com. the writer’s credit is as follows:
Judy Kim is a NYC-based food stylist, recipe developer, and photographer. She also writes recipes for her website The Judy Lab.
VEGAN CHICKEN LASAGNA
4 cups of chicken TVP shredded or cubed
2 cups salsa verde
2 cups vegan mozzarella shreds
2 cups Mexican vegan cheese blend (daiya has a monterrey jack)
3/4 cup vegan sour cream
10 oz. no boil lasagna noodles
1 or 2containers (15 oz) of vegan cream cheese
1 10oz can of fire roasted green chilis
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Combine chicken, chilis, salsa verde and sour cream in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper, cumin and chili powder.
Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture in the bottom of a large baking dish and cover with lasagna noodles.
Top with another layer of chicken mixture, then cover with cream cheese mozzarella and Mexican cheese.
Repeat with another layer of chicken, cream cheese and cheese, then top with lasagna noodles.
Cover noodles with remaining salsa verde and cream cheese, then sprinkle remaining mozzarella evenly over the top.
Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10-15, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove from oven and serve hot.
Love quinoa but want to expand your repertoire beyond the usual grain salad or pilaf? These crisp-crusted quinoa cakes provide a mild canvas for the bold flavors of olives, peppers, and greens. With white beans to give them some heft and heartiness, they make a terrific meatless main course. CLICK THE LINK FOR ALL THE IDEAS.
12 ideas for cooking quinoa
you HAVE to watch this video… this looks so yummy, i wish i had one right now! scrumptious!
BLACK BEAN AND FARRO SALAD
Black beans and farro team up beautifully in this ultra-hearty
grain salad. The duo pairs unexpectedly well with a crunchy
Granny Smith apple and creamy avocado. A bright cilantro
and shallot vinaigrette ties the whole dish together.
Farro (Wheat), Black Beans, Avocado, Apple, Shallot, Cilantro, White Wine Vinegar
Cooking time 45 min
Difficulty level Level 1
Farro 1 ¾ C
Black Beans 1 box
Granny Smith Apple 1
Cilantro ¼ oz
White Wine Vinegar 2 T
Olive Oil 2 T
Farro 11/2 C
Black Beans 2 boxes
Granny Smith Apple 2
Cilantro 2 (came in a box with about 6 small stems)
White Wine Vinegar 4T
Olive Oil 4T
Nutrition per person Calories: 787 cal | Carbs: 106 g | Fat: 28 g | Protein: 28g | Fiber: 33g | Sodium: 155mg
1 Cook the farro: add the farro to a large pot of water with a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30-35 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
2 While the farro cooks, drain and rinse the beans. Finely chop the cilantro. Halve, peel, and mince the shallot.
3 Make the cilantro vinaigrette: in a large bowl, combine the cilantro,shallot, and 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar. Whisk in 2 Tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4 Halve, pit, and dice the avocado. Cut the apple into ½-inch cubes,discarding the apple core. Toss the apple into the vinaigrette.
5 When the farro is ready, toss it into the vinaigrette along with the black beans. Season with salt and pepper.
6 Plate the farro mixture, then top with the avocado. Dig in and enjoy!
NOTE: i hate cilantro as does my husband, so i got some fresh basil out of my garden and added it instead of cilantro.
an excellent site for eating healthier and converting fave recipes into vegan. i am so thankful someone shared it with me
we eat a lot of this stuff. i never thought of making it. let me warn you. wear eye protection and GLOVES and do not scratch your face or anything. if you have to go to the restroom, remove your gloves, wash your hands well and make sure you didn’t get ANY peppers on your hands because one tiny touch in the wrong part of the anatomy and you will go into orbit. ok now that i have warned you, you’re on your own. this is not my recipe but one i’ve found to use. check out the link for all the instructions:
check it out at this link. my friends say it is the best and delicious!! sorry, no photo. when i make it, i’ll take a photo and update the site.