borrowed from THE KITTCHEN
The Most Delicious Thanksgiving Corn Recipe
i will add my vegan version as well. for health reasons, my cardiologist insisted i become vegan. it’s interesting to convert recipes and have them still be delicious!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 7 ears of Corn
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper
- 1 small Green Bell Pepper
- ¼ cup of Water
- 2 tablespoons Butter OR 2 tbs of vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar OR your favourite non sugar sweetener
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese OR 8 oz vegan cream cheese. i use tofutti.
- ½ cup Half and Half OR 1/2 cup of soy creamer or organic soy milk.
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan OR vegan parmesan cheese
- Shuck the corn, rinse it, and slice the corn off the cob. Finely dice the bell peppers.
- Heat the water and butter in a pot. Once it starts steaming, add the corn and the bell peppers. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients (except the Parmesan), and stir to combine. Once the cream cheese has melted, pour into a casserole dish.
- Top with the Parmesan and bake for 375 degrees for 15 minutes. You can prepare this recipe up to this point a day or two ahead of time and then bake it just prior to serving.
LOADED SCALLOPED POTATOES VEGAN VERSION
- 8 morning side farms vegan bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Generously add olive oil to pan to keep “bacon” from sticking
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted vegan butter, plus more for greasing dish
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. chopped scallions, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c. soy coffee creamer
- 1 c. low-sodium vegan chicken stock
- 2 1/2 lb. russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 c. shredded vegan Cheddar (I use veggie go)
- 1/4 c. vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown bacon, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate. Drain excess bacon grease leaving about 2 tablespoons; sauté garlic and onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Melt vegan butter, when it begins to bubble sprinkle flour all over and whisk until flour is absorbed, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add scallions, cream, and vegan chicken stock; bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Attach slicing blade to a food processor. If possible, set thickness to 1/8″. Trim ends of potato and slice without removing peel. Grease casserole dish with vegan butter and arrange potatoes in rows. Pour creamy mixture over the potatoes followed by a even layer vegan Cheddar and vegan bacon.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Garnish with scallions and dollops of vegan sour cream. Serve immediately.
I borrowed this recipe from delish.com. the writer’s credit is as follows:
Judy Kim is a NYC-based food stylist, recipe developer, and photographer. She also writes recipes for her website The Judy Lab.