Angel Food Cake
makes one bundt, serves a thousand toddlers
1 3/4 C sugar
1/4 t salt
1 C cake flour, sifted
12 egg whites (room temperature)
1/3 C warm water
1 t almond extract
1 1/2 t cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a food processor, spin sugar about 2 minutes until a powder forms. Split the sugar powder in half, and mix one half with the salt and cake flour. Set the other half aside for later.
3. In a large bowl, use a large whisk to thoroughly combine (until foamy) egg whites, water, almond extract, and cream of tartar. After a couple minutes, switch to mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
4. Slowly sift the reserved sugar onto egg mixture, beat continuously at medium speed until you reach medium peaks.
5. Once you have reached medium peaks, sift enough flour mixture on the surface of egg mixture to cover (small layer). Fold in with spatula. Repeat again with remaining flour mixture. Continue until all is incorporated.
6. Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube/bundt pan. Bake for 35 minutes – check with toothpick for doneness. Yes, that’s a word now. Cool in pan, cake-side up for an hour before moving from pan.
7. Serve with fresh strawberries, whipping cream or vanilla frosting, and warm jam for dripping.