recipe for crystallized ginger
*1/2 pound fresh ginger, peeled
*1/2 pound organic sugar, plus additional sugar for tossing the cooked ginger slices
1. Slice the ginger into 1/8 inch thick slices using a mandoline or a sharp knife. The slices should all be the same thickness so they cook evenly.
2. Put the sliced ginger into a pot on the stove and pour in enough water to just cover the ginger. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes until most, but not all, of the liquid has cooked off (you want about 1/4 cup of liquid to remain).
3. Add the sugar to the ginger slices and remaining water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
4. Drain the ginger slices over a colander, reserving the ginger syrup for another use.
5. Spread the wet ginger slices out on a cooling rack set over waxed paper. Sprinkle one side of the slices with organic sugar. Allow to dry for a few hours, then turn over and sprinkle the other side with organic sugar.
6. Once sprinkled with sugar and completely dry, the slices will keep in an airtight container for several months.
for the entire article, click this link: